Maternal Fetal Medicine, also known as MFM, is a branch of obstetrics focusing on the medical and surgical management of high risk pregnancies. Management includes monitoring and treatment including comprehensive ultrasound, chorionic villus sampling, genetic amniocentesis, and fetal surgery or treatment.
Southern OB-GYN Associates has partnered with Maternal-Fetal Specialists in Atlanta to provide these services to our patients via telemedicine. Through this innovative partnership utilizing the latest advancements in technology, we’re able to care for:
- Pregnant women who have special medical problems
- Heart or kidney disease, hypertension, diabetes, and thrombophilia
- Pregnant women who are at risk for pregnancy-related complications
- Preterm labor, pre-eclampsia, and twin or triplet pregnancies
- Pregnant women with fetuses at risk
- Chromosomal or congenital abnormalities, maternal disease, infections, genetic diseases, and growth restriction
Through partnership with Maternal-Fetal Specialists, our ultrasound technicians who have been specially trained for MFM ultrasounds, perform the sonogram and send those images in real-time to Maternal-Fetal Specialists. The perinatologist reads the ultrasound images and is able to provide consultation via telemedicine. The use of telemedicine allows the patient to be managed safely, with less expense and travel, and have direct access to our physicians locally.
Patients also have the option to travel to Albany Georgia for Maternal Fetal Medicine consults. Southern OB/GYN refers patients to Dr. Michael S. Edwards. Dr. Edwards is the Maternal Fetal Medicine Department director at Phoebe Putney Hospital.